The 75th Anniversary of the Dedication of the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest in the Nantahala National Forest will be held July 30. This is the schedule for the events:
8:00 AM (At Avey Branch Boat Launch) – 5K Road Race, 10K Road Race and One Mile Fun Run.
9:00 AM Booths and Exhibitions at the Rattler Ford Group Camp. Exhibitors include:
– Southern Appalachian Wilderness Stewards (SAWS)-Demonstrations of primitive forest tools and care for the land training.
– The Wilderness Society
– North Carolina Agricultural Extension Service
– American Chestnut Foundation
– US Department of Agriculture Forest Service
– Partners of the Joyce Kilmer Slickrock Wilderness
– Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians-Childrens activities and dances
– National Wild Turkey Federation-Jake’s Take Aim Target Range
– North Carolina Forest Service
10:00 AM-Homecoming for all present and former Cheoah Ranger District employees and volunteers throught the years!
10:00 AM-Bar-Be-Que Lunch Plates served by the Robbinsville Lions Club, with baked goods from the Volunteers of the Dolly Parton Imagination Library Initiative in Graham County.
1:00 PM-Formal Re-Dedication Ceremony of the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. Participation by the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars and decendents of Joyce Kilmer. Addresses by Congressman Heath Schuler, 11th Congressional District, Chief Michael Hicks, Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians, Kevin Anton, Alcoa’s Chief Sustainability Officer, and the Keynote speech by John Covell, Author of “Joyce Kilmer : A Literary Biography”.
2:00 PM-Music by Robbinsville’s own “Britthaven Bunch”, noted Bluegrass musicians.
Throughout the day-Tours of the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest by members of the USDA Forest Service and others.
Parking will be facilitated by the Graham County Transit Buses, which will be running throughout the day in the area. Parking attendents will be on hand to help with parking. Please bring your own lawn chair.
For more on Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest and its old growth cove hardwood forest, go to http://www.romanticasheville.com/joyce_kilmer_forest.htm.