Watch a video of the fun!
15 Tips for Visits to Sliding Rock, NC
Thousands of people visit and slide down Sliding Rock every week each summer in Pisgah National Forest. A favorite for generations, it’s the most popular swimming hole in the North Carolina mountains. The 60-foot waterfall is about 35 miles from Asheville and about 10 miles from Brevard. Visitors of all ages patiently line up and wait their turn to slide and splash into an eight-foot deep pool. Here are some tips for your visit:
- The chilly mountain water runs 50-60 degrees, so it’s definitely refreshing on a hot summer day!
- Lifeguards are on duty through September 1, 10 AM-6 PM. Changing rooms and restrooms are open when lifeguards are working.
- Cost is $2/person when lifeguards are on duty. Children 6 and under are free.
- The parking area fills up and closes periodically on summer weekends. Avoid peak visiting hours of 11 AM-3 PM on Saturday and Sundays. The parking area also fills up on some July weekdays.
- Do not slide during high water or thunderstorms.
- Even if you are not getting into the water, it’s fun to watch from the observation decks.
- The pool at the bottom of the falls is eight feet deep. So know how to swim!
- Children under seven years must slide with an adult.
- Lifejackets are the only flotation device allowed.
- Blue jean or thick shorts and water shoes are recommended for sliding on the rock slope.
- Slide in sitting position only.
- No alcohol is permitted.
- Pets are allowed at Sliding Rock, but they must be on a leash and cannot slide down the rock.
- To avoid parking lot congestion, no picnicking here. You’ll see lots of picnic tables roadside and nearby Coontree picnic area.
- The nearest food service is the café at Cradle of Forestry near Pink Beds (four miles west) or at the edge of Brevard (7.5 miles east).
Directions: Don’t count on GPS. From Asheville take I-26 East to Exit 40 for Highway 280 (Asheville Airport). Take a right onto Highway 280 West and go 16 miles toward Brevard. As you enter Brevard, you will see a big shopping center on the right with Wal-Mart. Just past the center, turn right onto US Highway 276 North (Forest Heritage Scenic Byway) and go 7.6 miles to a parking area on the left. From the Blue Ridge Parkway, take US 276 South about 7.5 miles.
For more info, go to http://www.romanticasheville.com/sliding_rock_north_carolina.htm.